Hi friends, take a tour of my world.

Saturday, August 28, 2010

Varamahalakshmi Festival

pooja at my place

Hi friends, I'm starting this blog with the first posting of Varamalakshmi Festival celebrations.
This is a festival celebrated in the month of Shravan. It is a pooja of Mahalakshmi done to please her, so that we are blessed with health, wealth and success. On the day of the pooja the women of the family have a head bath, place the kalash on a platform, decorate it with a silk saree and lots of flowers. A lotus flower is a sacred one to be used.
We place the two banana stems on either side of the goddess. We decorate with gejjevasthram, its a garland made of cotton. We tie mango leaves to the threshold of the house. We place 5 types of fruits, the panchamrutham and the nyvedya in front of the god. The family then sits together and performs the pooja.
My mother used to perform this pooja on a grand scale. After I got married and had a daughter I also started to perform this pooja. As my daughter was born on the day of this festival and also it was our country's Independence day i.e. on Aug 15th.
rangoli using rice, gram and dal.
pooja at my mother's place

No comments:

Post a Comment